Carbon monoxide poisoning is common after major tropical storms or hurricanes. 

Carbon monoxide poisoning is often called a “silent killer” because there are no odors and few symptoms to let you know there is a problem. When generators or grills are used improperly, like too close to homes or indoors, carbon monoxide can seep in and make you sick or even kill.

A few tips for preventing carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Carefully follow the manufacturer’s safety instructions for portable generators and grills.
  • Never use portable generators or grills indoors, in garages or near open windows. A safe distance from dwellings for placement is a minimum of 25 feet.
  • Do not siphon gasoline by mouth to fill a generator with fuel.
  • Use battery-operated carbon monoxide alarms and make sure the batteries are always fresh.

If you experience sleepiness, dizziness, headaches, confusion, or weakness or if your carbon monoxide alarm goes off, immediately seek fresh air and call 9-1-1.

Consult-A-Nurse®
1-866-319-3663
FREE 24/7
Loading locations...
Enjoy what you're reading?
Get hacks delivered right to your inbox!