Mow the lawn to relieve stress and boost memory.
Here’s another reason to do your chores. A recent study found that mowing your lawn is good for your brain.
The smell of grass is stimulating and gives your memory a boost, helping older adults keep their mind sharp. The physical aspects of lawn mowing also release a chemical that is said to relieve stress.
Here are some tips to keep you safe from injury while mowing the lawn:
- Use a stick-like item (not hands or feet) to remove debris in lawnmowers.
- Add fuel before starting the engine, not when it is running or hot.
- Stay away from the engine cover – it can easily burn flesh.
- Wear sturdy shoes and long pants.
- Remove stones, toys and other objects from the lawn before you start mowing.